This weekend was an amazing turn of events for Nana's house.
I am really proud of Rosemary, Margaret, Kent and Uncle Fuad for teaming up together (albeit sometimes stressful!!) and turning Nana's house back into a warm, lovely environment. It smells good, it feels good. There is a feeling of joy when you walk inside now. The decor is still outdated, and there is still some clutter; the walls have cracks, but it is on its way to being CLEAN and sparkling. All those years of dust and saved receipts...GONE...there is a renewed sense of appreciation and happiness.
It feels like Christmas times twenty.
I tip my hat to the Goodwin children for taking care of their mother. It was so good to hear Nana open up and talk and talk and talk -- and not stop talking!! -- today. I had felt so sad about my 87-year old grandmother being "holed up" in her dark, depressing house, and it was so difficult to go visit her. Now it is full of light and health and conversation. Nana laughed and joked with us today...told stories about her youth, her grandmother, her cousins, her wonderful children, me and my brother, and even quoted my dad! She even sipped a beer!!! It was a joyful, wonderful time, with the smell of Pledge, fresh air and fresh baked yams in the background. The warm, soft glow of new lightbulbs in the chandelier mixed with the tiny Christmas tree displayed in the window gave a feeling of comfort, joy and hope.
Sounds weird but this has been a good weekend. A tragic weekend as I experienced the devastating loss of a dear friend, yet, a blessing because I got my beloved Nana back.
God is good. All the time.

5 comments:
remember the bag of walnuts???
YES! Oh, yes, I do. :) HA! Thanks, Carolyn!
where is that old blog post about it?
I'm gonna go find it.
http://spencerforhire.blogspot.com/2006/10/bag-o-walnuts.html
Rosemary and her stripling
Post a Comment